Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Second Ruapehu weekend and bouldering competition

This weekend i was once again on Mt Ruapehu, learning ropework for alpine climbing on steep snow. A really cool guy named Glen are arranging free courses in alpine and ice climbing, and I attended to the basic one. Which was really a lot of fun, and I learned a lot. If someone wants to see some more cool pictures from Mt Ruapehu they should check out Martys gallery (see links).


The only bad thing I have to say about the mountains in New Zealand in winter is that they are kind of disapointing compared to Norway :) Walking with crampons are not much fun compared to walking up with skis with skins and ski down again! And as a addition after Martys comment, Mt Ruapehu is really beutifull, and I have not yet been on the south island and seen the mountains there, they might be even nicer! So I might not be able to compare properly :)


This wednesday I attended to a bouldering competition, first climbing competiton i have ever attended to. Which was really really fun, even tough I ended up with a hurting wrist and 0 points... :)

I also have to mention that I suddenly one day ran into Kristin at the rec senter! Really fun to completly unexpected se a familiar face here on the other side of the world! Kristin also joind AURAC and attended to the bouldering competition, so I could cheer with Hu & Hei once more again :)




Me climbing the first intermidiate problem



Kristin climbing same problem as me.


Edwin on an advanced problem


Andrew on an advanced problem


Garry in the end of on of the advanced problems

4 comments:

  1. Really cool photos Inga - the sunset one is very professional.

    I really don't agree with your comment about NZ mountains being nothing compared to Norway. You really have to go to the South Island first to be able to say that. Yes - Mt Ruapehu might be not be the most impressive mountain but no one considers the North Island as a true sample of the mountains you can get here in New Zealand.


    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okey, ill do that :) Most be allowed to be a bit patriotic inbetween :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. or maybe I need to go to Norway :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, you do! Norway is the coolest country!

    ReplyDelete